Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Higalaay 2022: Oro Photographic Society (Photo) Exhibit

All of August this year (yearly) is normally filled with fiesta or festival events. Cagayan de Oro City's patron saint is St. Augustine and we usually celebrate his feast day on August 28. It's a roman catholic thing and y'all know how the Philippines is a very roman catholic country sans other Christian denominations existing, co-existing here with us, roman catholics, and how, especially here in the Mindanao island, we have people of the Islamic faith, too.

Before the series of pandemic lockdowns, August is normally teeming with a lot of events from the fun run I really have been wanting to take part of for a looong while now to agriculture trade fares or displays at the Gaston Park right across the Cagayan de Oro City Cathedral, and to other trade and food fairs in 2-3 malls around the city. August here in Cagayan de Oro City is a pretty festive and fun month.

The month's already at its end but you can check the core events of the 2022 Higalaay (comradeship, camaraderie, brother/sisterhood in English) Kagay-anon, Cagayan de Oro City fiesta here.

For this month and this year, I didn't really go out to check out events going on for the festival. Miss 'Rona (COVID 19) is still around and it's also been raining on and off, week in and week out, every afternoon and evening so I try not to be around crowds much...yet, anyway. I'd like to stay away from being sick with anything for now especially now that we're heading into the last 4 months of the year.

Hmn...I did have a busy week catching up with some friends who are here for their holiday from other countries. They are some one or two fellow native Kagay-anons who've moved abroad to get married and work there. And in the process of catching up with them, I got to check out a few happenings or events of the Higalaay fiesta around Ayala Centrio last week.

One event I got to check out last week was the Oro Photographic Society's exhibit. It's a photo exhibit. It's just ended today, actually.



Three of my favorite photos from the exhibit are from my own Cagayan de Oro City, of course. Or at least two of them are from here. One is from Camiguin Island but it's close to our city so I'm claiming that one as well here. Haha.

I have featured Camiguin Island a lot on this blog. Kagay-an natives are known to frequent that island for long weekend vacations and more and I and my family are no different from those and we've lived here for years so that Camiguin Island photo definitely is up there with my two Cagayan de Oro City shots.
 


Bacolod and the Batanes Islands are in my to travel to list here in the Philippines, of course. I'm including those shots here are some distant-ish 2 and 3 favorites after the three above these two.


I didn't really know we have the Ibong Adarna (if you follow Philippine lore, you'll know this pretty mythical bird) here in our city but we do so I found this pretty cool.

I'm not at all sure if this exhibit will still be up in September. It says in the core events schedule that it ends today, August 31.

I've been to some other sort of core events of the Higalaay festival this year so I'll blog about that some other time this week. Definitely watch out for an onslaught of blog posts from here on out. This space will be quite busy this week and until around end of September and hopefully onwards. 

Until the next blog post, then! See you around here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment